Friday, September 21, 2007

May Peace Prevail On Earth


Today is the United Nations’ International Day of Peace. (To learn more, visit http://www.un.org/events/peaceday/2007/)
Twenty-four hours for World Peace? We can’t keep the peace for more than five minutes in our own living room, so I’m dubious that I could have anything relevant to say on the subject.

I decide to ask the kids what they think, and they all agree that the first thing to do is to stop the fighting. “And just how are you going to stop all the fighting in the world?” I ask. “Not the world, Mom,” says Chloé, “Just our family.” It’s a valid point. Peace starts at home. I’m reminded of the lyrics to a song we sang in church so often when I was young, by Jill Jackson and Sy Miller:

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me;
Let there be peace on earth,
The peace that was meant to be.

With God as our Father
Brothers all are we,
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me,
Let this be the moment now;
With every step I take,
Let this be my solemn vow:

To take each moment

and live each moment
In peace eternally –
Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.

We all agree to give it a try. And that’s a start; a small step in the direction of a more peaceful planet. Dona Nobis Pacem!

No comments:

Post a Comment