Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Not Easy Being Green

While I've been romancing the romanesco, my kids have been fomenting a full-on rebellion."Where's the beef? What'd you do with the butter?" They're sneaking off to In-N-Out the minute my back is turned, I just know it... When I asked for the verdict on this lovely warm balsamic-braised salad of broccoli, shiitakes, and tomatoes, the diplomatic response was, "Well, the blandness of the veggies covers the horrible bitter taste of the arugula."

It's not easy being green. People look upon me with pity; "Really? You're only eating vegetables these days? That must be so hard for a foodie like you..." Explaining that I want to do this, that so much of what I've read lately convinces me the surest path to optimum health is paved with greens, garners me a lot of blanks stares. I don't mind. I'm certainly not going to force my ideas on anybody else.

My family, though, is obliged to humor me just a little. They have to at least try it, then they can smother it in bacon bits and sour cream and shredded cheddar. They can have my dinner with a side of pork tenderloin. I'm not giving up; I'll let the results speak for themselves. Now, pass the kale chips, please. And yes, I actually like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment