Friday, November 9, 2007

Don't Break My Heart

It was bound to start sometime. Last night I went with Chloé and a couple of her friends to see a student production of “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” The show was great, but it was hard to concentrate on what was going on onstage when the real drama was unfolding in the audience.

We were sitting in our seats before the show when another of Chloé’s friends appeared behind us with a cute curly-haired blond boy in tow. She whispered something in Chloé’s ear and darted away, leaving the boy to sit next to us. He was staring intently at Chloé and she suddenly sits ramrod straight in her seat, looking at a faraway speck on the ceiling.

The tension is thick and it’s painfully obvious what’s happening, but I innocently ask, “What’s going on?” “That guy likes me, Mom, really likes me, and he came tonight just because he new I was going to be here, and I don’t like him back. It’s so embarrassing!” It’s humbling to have the laws of attraction explained to me by a 14-year-old, but then again, I asked.

At intermission, Chloé leaps out of her seat, runs down to front of the theater to talk to the girl who brought the boy over to us, and darts out the side door. The girl comes over to whisper to the boy and he slinks away, hands in pockets. My heart goes out to this kid.

I’m trying so hard not to be a sticky-beaked mother, I’m actually perspiring. I can’t stand it any more, and I say to no one in particular, “You know, in my experience, it’s better to give bad news in person, rather than send a messenger to do it.” All Chloe’s friends nod in fervent agreement, and I feel vindicated.

After the show, the crowd surges out the door and Chloé is nowhere to be found. We wait in the car. She finally appears, and tells us that she talked to him, and told him that she just want to be friends and that she’s just not interested in boys right now. I feel mixed emotions: sympathy for the cute blond guy, but pride in Chloé for being grown up and doing the right thing.

Next time she goes to the theater, I think I’ll stay home. I don’t think I can handle all the drama. And it’s only just begun.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy - what we have to look forward to! You're right, I thought the drama was supposed to be on stage. But...I remember many awkward moments in life (mostly on the other side of what Chloe went through though!) with no screen or stage to be found.

    ReplyDelete