Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dreaming of Sub-Zero

Tomorrow we kick off the Eating Down the Fridge challenge -- "a week-long kitchen challenge of abstaining from food shopping, and using up what’s in the fridge, freezer and kitchen cabinets" (thanks to the Tipsy Baker for clueing me in to the event). I've basically been doing something like this for a week already anyway, since I've been sick. Add to that the fact that there are six of us and one extremely tiny fridge, and it's like a triple challenge, really.

When I explained to the family what was going to happen over the next week, I was met with slack jaws and stares of disbelief. But I love a challenge, so I'm going to stick to the rules in my usual draconian fashion. There may be a mutiny, but chances are that if I hadn't mentioned it, nobody in the house would have even noticed my cleverly disguised main dish of martini olives with strawberry cream cheese and mango chutney...

I'll report the results at the end of the week, or maybe before then if it gets really hilarious. Not even the anonymous plaintive "please get food" note I found at the foot of the stairs today can sway me!

3 comments:

  1. That note is hilarious.
    I wish I had some artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to do this, and try it around once a year. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode, however, when Homer tried to make a meal out of pie crust, cloves and Tom Collins mix. HA HA!

    ReplyDelete