Sunday, March 15, 2009

Eating Down the Fridge: the Non-Event

This whole "Eating Down the Fridge" thing had me so nervous at the beginning of the week. The milk was looking dangerously low. There were a couple of unfortunate substitutions. If we ran out of bread, there was sure to be a revolt. How were we going to make it through the next seven days without a trip to the grocery store?

Ha! The only thing we ran out of was orange juice; Wynham was not pleased about that. It's true that the tiny fridge is nearly bare, but actually there's another complete meal in there. There's barely a noticeable dent in the the freezer. You can't even tell whether anyone ever went in the pantry or not. Given my "earthquake" mentality, it would probably take at least six weeks to get through all the canned goods.

Still there were some lessons to be learned. I've always known that planning ahead is great thing, but I tend to buy more than we really need (I'm all for leftovers; other members of the household are less enthusiastic). It's nice not to have anything in there that has to be jettisoned because I forgot about it. I stretched the meat, and tried some new dishes. We saved money and time. Nobody went hungry.

Now, for the freezer. That could be scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment