Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Golden Windows

One of my favorite stories for children is a fable called The Golden Windows, which goes something like this: A boy looks out across the valley each morning and sees a house with golden windows (the same phenomenon I often see when I glance across the bay towards Sausalito in the early hours). He longs for a home like it.

Finally one day, the boy decides to cross the valley to see this wonder for himself, and he arrives at the far-away house on the hill just as evening approaches. When he knocks on the door, a girl his age answers. "Excuse me," he says, "I've admired the house with the golden windows for so long; do you think I could have a look?"

"Of course," she replies, "it's right over there; I've long admired it, too." And she points back across the valley, where the setting sun is reflected in the windows of his own house...

4 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful story.
    But those cookies in the earlier post!!! I have never seen anything like it. What kind are they? We are doing our big baking marathon this weekend or even Monday and I could use inspiration.
    BTW, there was a really interesting article in the Wednesday NYT about cookie baking and butter. But I'm sure you're done thinking about cookies.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get back to you on those cookies. Meanwhile, check out the sugar cookie recipe here: http://cocoskitchen.blogspot.com Look in the March archive. The book is really great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the story! I'm also amazed at the quantity of cookies.. whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo...I've been looking for a new story. I am going to get this tomorrow. Beautiful.
    How do you get your photo long and narrow like that? And I can't get mine side by side (finally got them small) to save my life. I need a lesson!

    ReplyDelete