Tuesday, January 20, 2009

If I Were President

Jack often talks in his sleep and wakes himself up in the early morning hours, so I wasn't surprised to hear him saying what I thought was "rock-a-bye mama, rock-a-bye mama" over and over again. He woke up, and I said, "rock-a-bye mama, what a nice song!" "No," he corrected me, "Barack Obama!"

All the kids have special assemblies at school today to see the inauguration of our 44th president. "This is an historic day," I told Claire. "I bet in your lifetime, you'll get to see a woman elected president, too; maybe even you!"

"Oh, I would never be president," she replied, "too many Secret Service guys following me around all the time. But if we could fix that, then I'd do the job. I'd change all the laws, put a swimming pool on the back lawn of the White House, and on my last day in office I'd let 10 people out of jail." Oooooooooookay!

"Jack," I asked then, "what would you do if you were President?" Without hesitation, he said, "I'd paint big red hearts all over the White House, especially the front door, and I'd feed all the poor people some healthy food." I say, JACK for PRESIDENT!

1 comment: