Friday, July 18, 2008

La Famille

Here's the real reason I made this trip: to see my extended family in France, which includes Chloé and Wynham's nearly-94-year-old great-grandmother (Mamie), and their selfless grandmother, Annie. I am welcomed with open arms, and I'm so glad to see that the passage of time hasn't played any tricks on me; everything seems just as it was last time I visited eight years ago, except that the linden tree which was a sapling then now shades the entire front yard at Annie's house...

I know, as the French say, that it's not always a good idea to "look backwards," but there are certain aspects of my life in France that I really miss: the slow unrolling of hours in the countryside, the reverence for even the simplest meal, and mainly, mostly, the people there that I love so much. I choke back a few tears when I leave, but I am so, so glad that I came to visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment