Friday, February 6, 2009

More Than Words



It was a decade or so ago when I first discovered Jeanine Payer's gorgeous jewelry. I was interviewing a candidate for a writing position when her ring caught my eye. The ring was a simple, organic, sterling silver band, hand engraved with the words: "My fingers emit sparks of fire with expectation of my future labors - Blake." I was smitten. I had to have one. Who made it? Where did she get it? I gave that woman the job...

At the time, I was a single mother with two children to support and "discretionary income" was an oxymoron in my vocabulary. But I bought the ring in question, and it became my talisman for all good things to come. Since then, I've been lucky enough to add a few pieces to my collection and give a few special gifts, each one representing a rite of passage: marriage, an important birthday, babies, losing a loved one. These treasures are all the more precious because I know how much love and thought goes into each piece.

Payer's work inspired me to take a class in metalsmithing, and that experience gives me an even deeper appreciation for all the hard work that goes into crafting those tiny objects of art. I've toured her studio and met some of the great folks who work for her, and I can say that while her business has grown, her values haven't changed. Following her lovely blog, Glimpse, provides delightful behind-the-scenes insight.

She's just released her new collection -- stunning in its simplicity and heartfelt in its sentiments. Just in time for Valentine's Day! (James, you're off the hook...) I truly believe we have to support our local artists and do our patriotic part for the economy. And I promise you, a gift from Jeanine Payer will always be cherished. More than words can say.
(photos by Janet Kozawa, courtesy of Jeanine Payer)

No comments:

Post a Comment