Friday, February 20, 2009

Treasure Box

A remarkable transformation has recently taken place in our kitchen, brought about by a weekly delivery of organic fruits and vegetables from Farm Fresh To You. Lately, I've become more and more leery of feeding my children anything that comes in a box off the supermarket shelf. So when mice invaded our pantry a few weeks back, it gave me the opportunity to make a clean sweep. Participating in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program seemed like the next step in the right direction.

Frankly, I harbored doubts as to how thrilled anyone in my house would be about the wintertime offerings. I had visions of brussels sprouts ten ways. The first week, though, they ate collard green soup with no complaints. The second week, we were all adventurous enough to try sautéed pea shoots for the first time. True, there are some things I've never seen, much less eaten, but I love the challenge.

This week the kids crowded around the box in anticipation, waiting to see what was inside; the closer we get to spring, the more treasures the box holds. Claire and Jack sat down on the spot and ate an entire bunch of fresh Nantes carrots, with plans to plant the little green tops in the morning. They completely ignored the boxes of Valentine's chocolates sitting on the counter. Priceless!

The box we receive not only comes loaded with fresh organic delectables, it also contains an informational sheet that includes enticing recipes, and a heartwarming newsletter from Thaddeus, the farm manager. "The farm is cold and wet. Many of the fields lay fallow, waiting for the warmth of spring..." It's a love letter to the earth, really, and I am completely charmed. Here's to dirt under your fingernails, and kale on your table...

1 comment: