Sunday, February 15, 2009

This Is Not My Beautiful House

To tell the truth, I'm afraid to go out the front door. Every time I put the man of the house in charge so I can go to the grocery store, this is what I come back to -- not just in the bedrooms, mind you, but the living room, dining room, and kitchen, too. How anyone can manage to make a mess like that in less than an hour is one thing, how often this happens in a single day is another.

"What happened?!?" I ask, trying to keep the shrillness out of my voice, "It looks like a bomb went off in here..." By way of reply, man of the house counters with his own question: "How much would you pay for a good kitchen knife?" Huh? It's then that I notice, my arms laden with grocery bags, that he's perusing $500 handforged, beadblasted chefs knives on eBay. This is really funny, because man of the house only knows how to make eggs. But it doesn't explain the mess (or, maybe it does...).

Over time, I've learned that I'll never get an explanation as to how this happens. I keep asking, just for fun, to see if I'll ever get anything that resembles an actual answer. I do know that it will probably take me two hours to clean it all up, but only if everyone else is gone. Luckily, all the kids are out for the afternoon on a playdate roundup. Everything looks spotless when they get home.

Now for the confession: the featured photo was taken about half an hour after they returned to the domicile. This disaster of a mess was perpetrated right under my nose! I think I might as well give up...

2 comments:

  1. Cheer up. That's pretty much what my house looks like too and I don't have children to blame it on. $500 knives? Whoa. Are they encrusted with old mine cut diamonds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, he was just looking, not buying!

    ReplyDelete